Ok Fat Salmoners! This post contains everything you’ll need to know for Saturday. We know you are excited to get out and swim, we can’t wait to bring you the 17th annual Fat Salmon Swim! Here are the details:
- Check In & Waves
- Category Changes
- Stragglers & Time Limit
- Trouble on the Course
- Day of Race Registration (new this year!)
1. SCHEDULE: Please be on time. Seriously.
6:15 a.m. — Check in opens
7:15 a.m. — Check in closes
7:20 a.m. — Mandatory Safety Meeting
7:35 a.m. — (approx) leave Madison Park and CARPOOL to the start
8:15 a.m. — 1st wave starts! Waves 2-5 will follow with only 3 minutes between each.
10:30 a.m.- Awards!
View the Heat Sheet (first part sorted by first name, second part sorted by wave) and make a note of your wave number (you can also see the wetsuit and non-wetsuit category for which are currently registered). You’ll need to check in at the corresponding table wave number. First Timers: You will receive a plastic bag to put your towel and your clothes you wear to the start line. We will transport that bag to the finish line for you. As for rides to the start, everyone helps each other out by sharing rides and offering available seats in their cars.
2. CHECK IN: You absolutely MUST be checked in to swim! Check-in at Madison Park (which is also the finish line), get numbered, put on your chip, AND stay for the pre-race meeting in order to swim.
3. PARKING: Please, please absolutely NO parking allowed along Madison Street or the directly adjoining streets. The businesses need those spaces for their patrons. Respect all barricades, posted signs, driveways, etc. Please try to be quiet as you come and go from your cars.
4. CATEGORY CHANGES: If you would like to switch divisions (wetsuit or nonwetsuit) you need to FIRST check in with your original division, THEN GO TO THE CHANGE TABLE where you will have a new chip and number assigned.
5. STRAGGLERS & TIME LIMIT: Maintaining everyone’s safety is key for us so we need to keep you bunched together. Stragglers may be pulled and those who are not on track to finish the race in 2 hours will be pulled at the 2.5-mile marker. If we need to pull you, please don’t argue. Anyone behind the cutoff jeopardizes the safety of the event and limits our ability to bring this event to you again next year.
6. TROUBLE ON THE COURSE: We certainly hope you won’t have any, but just in case…UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANYONE SWIM TO THE SHORE AND GO HOME.
If you can’t finish, please flag a guard or kayak to be pulled onto a motor boat. If you head for shore we’ll have no idea that you’ve left and will see yourself on the evening news as missing. Also, I’ll have a heart attack, you don’t want that on your conscience. A lifeguard or boat will be closer to you than the shore.
7. EQUIPMENT: This may seem obvious, but just in case: make a checklist or pack your bag ahead of time so you don’t forget anything. Swimsuit, goggles, wetsuit (if applicable), body-glide, towel, warm clothes for before and after (even if the weather is warm, being in the water for a while will lower your body temp), water bottle, etc. Hydrate before you swim! Eat if you need to eat. Anything else? Put it on your list, you might not be quite awake when it’s time to go on Saturday.
USMS rules govern this race — the following equipment is NOT ALLOWED: fins, pull buoy, paddles, snorkel, floating buoy, ipod, etc.
8. REFUNDS: When you registered, you agreed that your entry fee was non-refundable, non-deferrable and non-transferable. If you opt not to swim for any reason, we hope you’ll still come and pick up your shirt and cap and stay to cheer your friends into the finish. Absolutely no bandits swimming in your place. If we find out we’ll make sure you’re not invited to return next year and recommend that you are blocked from other PNA races too.
9. DAY OF RACE REGISTRATION – We have space to offer for day of race registrations if you know someone who wants to swim the Fat Salmon but missed the registration deadline. They must arrive by 6:30am.
10. QUESTIONS? If you have any, check the FAQ’s on our website or the Club Assistant Page. If you don’t see the answer there, please be sure to ask at the pre-race meeting, so that others can benefit from your question and our answers.
Thanks for your attention. We’re so happy to bring you this great race! May the 17th annual Fat Salmon be the best one yet! See you out there.